Some of the significant transactions and matters we’ve worked on recently include:
Content Distribution and Syndication
- Viacom in connection with a content license, distribution and advertising agreement with a premier Internet television broadcast provider, involving the streaming of long form episodic and theatrical content from both domestic and international Viacom brands.
- MTV Networks in connection with digital audio-visual content license, syndication, distribution, marketing and advertising agreements with major online portals and content aggregators and distributors, including AOL, Microsoft, Adobe, Hulu.com, Amazon, Veoh, Hewlett Packard, Bebo, Dailymotion and iMeem.
- HBO Latin America in connection with numerous content distribution agreements including distribution agreements with DIRECTV Latin America LLC.
- Paramount Pictures in connection with output distribution arrangements with DreamWorks Animation SKG covering worldwide rights in 13 animated feature films to be produced by DreamWorks.
- Rainbow DBS Company, LLC, a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation, in connection with affiliation agreements related to its VOOM satellite distribution system.
- MediaNews Group in connection with a consortium agreement on behalf of seven newspaper chains with Yahoo! to distribute content, advertising and technology.
- Paramount Pictures in connection with an output distribution agreement with Kirch Media covering pay and free television rights throughout Europe in all studio motion picture and television productions over a 10-year period.
- Charter Communications in connection with its affiliation agreements with various television programming services, including ESPN, HDNet, Disney Channel and Fox Sports.
- iBahn Holdings, a provider of high-speed data and video and television services for hotels, in connection with a distribution agreement with Echostar Communications.
- Paramount Pictures in connection with numerous digital video-on-demand and electronic sell through license agreements with various online distribution services, including Best Buy, Amazon.com, Bonver, Glowria, Culture Convenience Club, and FNAC.
- TV Azteca, the second largest broadcaster in Mexico, in connection with the development and deployment of a multi-channel television programming service and digital video-on-demand movie service to be delivered via over-the-air broadcast in Mexico and other Latin American countries.
- Tribune Company in connection with the affiliation of Tribune and its television station group with the WB Television Network, the dissolution of the WB Network and the subsequent affiliation of Tribune and its television station group with the CW Televisions Network.
- NBC Universal in connection with a license agreement with Television Française 1 for the production of a French television series based upon the format for NBC Universal’s Law and Order television series franchise.
- Viacom in a comprehensive online advertising syndication and serving strategic alliance with Microsoft involving, among other things, the syndication and distribution of online display and multi-media advertising for Viacom web sites.
- MTV Networks in agreements with MySpace, Inc. and Auditude Inc. involving the sale, hosting and distribution of online advertising inventory in connection with user generated content containing MTV Networks’ content displayed on MySpace.
- Viacom in connection with an agreement with the Overture division of Yahoo to provide paid Internet search services for all websites owned or operated by Viacom and its affiliates.
- MTV Networks in content license, distribution, marketing and advertising agreements with major wireless carriers, content aggregators, mobile virtual network operators and mobile TV network operators and service providers, including AT&T, Inc., Sprint Corporation, Verizon Wireless, Virgin Mobile, Alltel Corporation, MediaFLO and MobiTV.
- MTV Networks in connection with a joint promotion, license, services, and advertising agreement with Verizon Wireless pursuant to which the Rhapsody branded digital music service, a joint venture with RealNetworks, Inc., provides digital music content and services to Verizon Wireless’ subscriber base.
- StarMedia, Inc. in connection with a revenue sharing arrangement for Latin American wireless distribution of StarMedia’s Internet services through Bell South.
- The Walt Disney Company in connection with agreements with Sprint for the operation of a virtual mobile phone network branded by Disney.
Film and Television Production and Finance
- Mark Burnett Productions in connection with the production of over 30 cycles of prime time reality television series, including Survivor, The Apprentice, The Contender and Rock Star.
- Major Studio Partners in connection with the financing of 50% of the production costs of all prime time scripted television programs to be produced by a major studio over a period of five years.
- Beacon Pictures in connection with the financing of a slate of 10 motion pictures.
- MTV Networks in connection with the development and operation of the Rhapsody branded digital music service, a joint venture with RealNetworks, Inc.
- SpiralFrog in connection with licensing agreements with major and independent record labels, publishers and performing rights organizations in connection with the acquisition of music and video content for distribution on the SpiralFrog branded, advertising supported digital music service.
Interactive Gaming and Virtual Worlds
- Harmonix Music Systems, Inc. in connection with multiple software, systems and peripheral manufacturing, development, licensing and distribution agreements for the Rock Band video game franchise.
- MTV Networks in the design, development, operation and promotion of multiple online virtual reality, social networking communities including the “Laguna Beach”, “The Hills” and “Pimp My Ride” virtual worlds, as well as VLES (“Virtual Lower East Side”).
- Mattel in connection with a licensing agreement with DirecTV for the development and distribution of video games based on Mattel-branded properties for DirecTV’s interactive television gaming platform.
- MTV Networks in connection with the establishment, financing and implementation of a new video game company to be headed by noted film and television producer Jerry Bruckheimer that will develop all forms of video games for publication and ancillary exploitation by MTV.
- Pixar in connection with a license agreement with THQ for the creation and distribution of video games based upon the next four animated feature films produced by Pixar.
- Mattel in connection with a licensing agreement with RealNetworks for the development and distribution of casual video games based on Mattel-branded properties.
Film and Television Libraries
- Paramount Pictures in connection with the sale of the DreamWorks Film Library to Soros Strategic Partners LP.
- Classic Media in connection with the acquisition of various libraries of classic children’s film and television productions and characters, including Rocky and Bullwinkle, Mr. Magoo, Lassie, Veggie Tales, Lone Ranger and Lamb Chop.
- The First Artists Film Library in connection with distribution arrangements with Warner Bros.
- Worldwide Classic Media in connection with the sale of a library containing over 3,000 motion pictures and television productions.
Strategic Alliances, Mergers and Acquisitions
- MySpace, Inc. in its acquisition of iLike, Inc., creator and operator of the music recommendation site iLike.com and the iLike applications, with over 55 millioan registered users on social networking platforms such as Facebook, MySpace and others.
- Cablevision Systems Corporation in connection with the acquisition of Newsday.
- thestreet.com in connection with a strategic alliance with Go2Net, Inc.
- Rainbow Media in American Movie Classic’s acquisition of a movie review and motion picture-related resource website.
- The Walt Disney Company in connection with its acquisition of Club Penguin, an Internet social networking site directed towards children.
- Clarity Partners in connection with the acquisition of a 50% interest in Village Roadshow Pictures and Village Roadshow’s co-production and co-financing arrangements with Warner Bros.
- Crescent Entertainment in connection with the acquisition of Concord Records.
- Viacom and Paramount Pictures in connection with the acquisition of DreamWorks L.L.C.
- Platinum Equity in the acquisition of the San Diego Union-Tribune.
- Investment group in the acquisition of The New Republic.
Promotions, Contests and Sweepstakes
- The Muscular Dystrophy Association in the creation of the first “Jerry Lewis MDA Open”, an MDA-branded virtual golf charity tournament, hosted by World Golf Tour at http://www.worldgolftour.com.
- The Case Foundation in the development and administration of online “giving” challenges to encourage use of viral technology in various philanthropic initiatives.
- MTV Networks in connection with the online “MTV Movie Spoof Contest” run concurrently with the 2008 MTV Movie Awards.
- MTV in connection with online marketing and promotional arrangements with Cadbury Schwepps relating to MTV’s “Band in the Bubble” television special.