Rita M. Haeusler is a partner specializing in litigation and counseling in the fields of entertainment, media and communications, technology, and intellectual property. Ms. Haeusler is nationally recognized for her expertise in matters involving advertising, Internet, mobile, data security, privacy, licensing and distribution agreements, technology, anti-piracy strategies, and national and international promotions. In addition, Ms. Haeusler has been involved in litigation and transactions relating to the Internet since the early 1990s, making her one of the most experienced and knowledgeable attorneys practicing in this area. She has represented numerous companies in the Internet sector, including ISPs and portals, e-commerce companies, infrastructure and equipment companies, and content and entertainment providers, as well as numerous start-up and emerging growth companies.
Matters handled by Ms. Haeusler for Internet clients include contractual, copyright, trademark, trade secret, defamation, right of publicity, First Amendment, and data breach disputes, cross-marketing and interactive marketing, linking agreements, carriage and distribution arrangements, technology and website development agreements, content and technology licenses, e-commerce agreements, counseling relating to privacy issues, user generated content and social networking, and numerous other matters. She also has extensive experience in related areas such as print and electronic book publishing, merchandising, and computer and video games.
Ms. Haeusler has also represented motion picture and television production companies, studios, networks and distributors, investors and financiers, and other parties in connection with a wide variety of litigation matters, including profit participation, distribution, unfair competition, false advertising, intellectual property, trade secret, First Amendment, defamation, and right of publicity disputes and other matters.
Ms. Haeusler is frequently involved in litigation and intellectual property due diligence in connection with corporate transactions, licensing relating to intellectual property, as well as general counseling regarding intellectual property matters and issues.
- Member, Advisory Board, USC Gould School of Law, Institute for Corporate Counsel
- Member, Union Internationale des Avocats, Media Law Group
- Member, Board of Directors Ninth Judicial Circuit Historical Society
- Member, Technology Standing Committee
- Member, International Chamber of Commerce Working Party on Intellectual Property and Electronic Commerce
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1980 (cum laude)
- University of California, Los Angeles, J.D., 1983
- Universidad de Salamanca
- California, 1983
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court of Arizona
- U.S. District Court of Nevada
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court of Oregon
- U.S. District Court of Tennessee
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals